For the love of all things related to The Sims

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cutsocks

PostSubject: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Okay, so there was a time I actually played a lot of the game and didn't spend the time building and world creating.

I just this morning discovered an OLD save on my old computer. I decided to have a looksie around. I don't have the best memory, but just peeking around has reminded me of some of my adventures.

This is the Silotto House. If it looks familiar, it's because I used it for my creepy Stepford Wife submission for Spookytown. While, I haven't relived many of my Sims 2 experiences in Sims 3, a few sims have been remade. One of those was Jodi Silotto and her pink house.

In the Sims 2, Jodi lived in the Seasons town, and she was obsessed with... superficiality, so to speak. Somehow, I had become fascinated with certain addictions, and the idea of plastic surgery addiction was pinnacle of the bizarre for me. Jodi was all about thinner, plumper, filled, tucked, nipped, and tweaked.

She's a bit scary, no? But beauty is in the beholder's eye, and Jodi likes mirrors. [Darn shame there was no boob slider at that time...] For her traits, she is a flirty, charismatic, artistic, genius workaholic. She's already hit her lifetime want to be super popular. She has no job and a blank job history; I'm not sure if that is true or if something got messed up/lost in a save from 2009. Or I had planned for her to never work. Not sure.

Anywho, she did manage to snag a husband. Husbands are a good reason to not have a career.

William Shackelford is a star news anchor. He's a couch potato, great kisser, and a heavy sleeper. Handy and charismatic as well. He has a son from a previous marriage named Philip. His former wife seems to have moved to the hereafter. William also dabbles in writing. He's written some sci-fi to modest success and tried his hand at other genres. However, his humor novel "The Plastic Wife" and the non-fiction "Father in Fast Forward" were both flops. [Based on the non-fiction title, I have a feeling I must have cheated and aged up a child or two at some point...]

Jodi and William Shackelford had a son. A rather unfortunate one, in fact.

Dominic Shackelford inherited his mother's plastic surgery looks. Oh dear. He is artistic and friendly and has cheekbones that go on for days. It was looking through Dominic's information that memories of the fun and interesting times came back... Like his daddy, he two has dabbled in writing as a pastime. Despite his young age, he has written two books. Two books, that if nothing else, hint at a bit of dysfunction in his home: "Little Sister in the Basement" [a children's novel[!]] and "Basement Girl and the Cellar of Doom" [sci-fi]. And that brings us to the last member of the Shackelford family...

When little Judith was born, Jodi didn't want to move furnish/redecorate the third bedroom for a baby. So the wee girl was put in the only unfinished room of the house.

Though as child, she's moved out of the basement now, but the sad evidence of a life tucked away remains. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm sure there was a crib and potty and stuff down there as well, or at least I hope there was. One the bright side, Judith didn't inherit some of the more peculiar features of her mother, and I would wager she'll turn out to be quite pretty. She's an artistic virtuoso, but over-emotional. She's besties with her brother and father but has an abysmal relationship with her mother. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
cutsocks

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:49 pm

After a while, I get bored of playing a family and move on to another. These are presented in no particular order, but since Jodi was the active household for the save, I'm sure her family was the most recent.

The Menesclou family was probably somewhere in the middle.

This is Claude Menesclou.

He is flirty, good, a hopeless romantic, friendly, and charismatic. Did I just pick all the happy ones when I made him? Sheesh. He's hit his lifetime of super popular. He's currently editor-in-chief. However that was not his first job. He made a living as a writer, before such a self-employment option was available. [Or if it was at the time, I didn't know about it.] I'm pretty sure that Claude was the first writer I had made, and I had a lot of fun with some of his titles. He has written 31 books. He has dabbled into almost every genre. He wrote a series of well-liked fantasy novels: "Chimera Saga", "Dragon Saga", "Empire Saga", "Fortress Saga", and "Gryphon Saga". All of them were best-sellers. He wrote two masterpieces; "The Life of Lazarus" garnered average reviews, but his final book, his magnum opus, "A Host of Angels" was a best-seller. He then decided to settle down a bit and joined the journalism career.

However, despite his success in the fantasy genre and the shining achievement of his masterpiece, he is somewhat haunted by his early, struggling days as a writer--churning out throw-a-way works to pay the bills. Claude wrote a series of books featuring the heroic Dash Flash. While categorised as science-fiction, the were nothing more than trashy pulp novels. For the faint of heart, the titles, which suggest their salacious contents, have been placed under a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Eventually I had Claude meet Chris, and they were married. Chris Howe has been remade and put in a couple different towns I've played.

Chris was a bigger guy to start with, but chubby doesn't fit in spacesuits, so he's slimmed down for his military career. He is an astronaut, fulfilling his lifetime. He is flirty, hates art, loves the outdoors, good, and an angler. He's maxed out gardening, fishing, cooking, and athletics.

I'm not sure I realized the appropriateness of Claude's sci-fi novels and his partner being an astronaut. LOL!

Somewhere along the line, the two adopted a daughter, Leslie.

She's brave athletic, a heavy sleeper, and friendly. She's already reached physical perfection by maxing out martial arts and athletics.

Despite having quite a bit of money, they live in a modified Tish Cottage.

Their home is filled with skill certificates and taxidermy fish.
Back to top Go down
MerryWiddow
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Very interesting read.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

Back to top Go down
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/MerryWiddow/mystudio http://merrywiddow.wordpress.com/
cutsocks

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Gah, I may not be able to look into all the lives I once played. No

Trying to switch to the Miderot [my traveling politican with whom I first explored so much of World Adventures] and Cratton [emperor of evil and his girlfriend] households have been unsuccessful. I'm gonna look into some resets.

But that reminds me of the first major bug I encountered in the Sims 3. Amelia Halstead. She was a young musician with an artistic flair. But then she disappeared. I loaded up the game and she was gone. She was my active household at the time, so I had no playable sim. I tried to resetsim her, but it didn't work. She was gone. No one remembered her, she was no longer on the social panel for anyone in town. Gone.

Gone. Gone. Gone.

Except... while she had immediately sold her paintings for the quick cash, she did keep one: a stylized portrait of herself, called "Artist #1".

I was pretty devastated at the time. I switched over to the Menesclou house and had them buy Amelia's old home, just to acquire the painting, and then move back to their normal house with it in the family inventory. It hangs in Claude's office.

I was actually thinking about fixing up the town with the new EP lots since WA and playing it. But if I can't switch to some of the families, I fear the save may be hopelessly broken.

Back to top Go down
EuphorialQueen
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Cool stories of Sims past. I have old saves on an external drive somewhere. Not sure if any work though. I preferred Riverview over Sunset Valley for the longest time. I think the majority of my old saves are there. I also started a legacy type family /story in Twinbrook which I also like. That was pre-Generations and Generations and the patch killed the save somehow.
There was also the RV based Asylum family started by River Bend and her husband Rustee Gates.
The Bend family made it all the way to Gen 5 via multiple resets and new beginnings but I finally gave up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/EuphorialQueen/mystudio http://ts3cc.canadian-forum.com/ Online
cutsocks

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Well, I can get into at least one other household.

I was on a big writing kick or something at the time, because Juan Sanchez is an author as well.

He's a loner. bookworm, vegetarian, and lucky computer whiz. Looking through his written works and accessing the royalties he received, his literary history seems to be one of a genre exploration with a series and then moving onto another genre.

Like Claude, he wrote pulp novels to start out--a trashy series centered around an unnamed heroine referred to as "harlot" in the titles. No mincing words there, huh? [In real life at the time, I had just finished Daniel Dafoe's "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders" which is pretty smutty for a 1721 novel.] The books by Juan are: "A Harlot for All Seasons", "A Harlot for All Times", "Harlot Goes North", "Harlot in Action", "Harlot in Greece", "Harlot in Paradise", "Harlot Incognito", and "Harlot Punished". [I'm pretty sure I had events from "Moll Flanders" in mind when I came up with some of them, especially the last two--posing as someone else and then going to prison for impersonation.]

After the Harlot Series, Juan settled into a more respectable historic romance tradition. He started with "Lola's Misadventures", "Lola in Love", and "Lola and Marriage". At this point, maybe feeling a bit constrained by having his heroine wed, he wrote a prequel: "Lola: Origins". "Lola: The Decline" follows. It was not as well-received as the other novels, and as a result of his fans not enjoying misfortune fall upon the titular character, he wrote "Lola: Rediscovering Joy". It was a best-seller. Juan wrapped up the series with "Lola: The End".

The pressures of public opinion must have been hard on Juan. He then wrote his only non-fiction work, "The Heartache of Writing Lola".

He then moved away from the themes of love and delved into mysteries. He wrote three. The titles suggest, maybe, a sleuthing priest. They are titled: "Hallowed Ground", "Scared Sacred", and "Holy Sacrament".

Juan's experience in writing is very vivid for me and was very fun and interesting. When "Lola: The Decline" flopped, I was amazed how it felt so purposeful and dynamic. [Despite just being code and probability and whatnot.] I was not expecting it at all. The fact that the next book, one with only just a happier title, was a best-seller made the backlash seem all the more real.
Back to top Go down
cutsocks

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:31 pm

EuphorialQueen wrote:
Cool stories of Sims past. I have old saves on an external drive somewhere. Not sure if any work though. I preferred Riverview over Sunset Valley for the longest time. I think the majority of my old saves are there. I also started a legacy type family /story in Twinbrook which I also like. That was pre-Generations and Generations and the patch killed the save somehow.
There was also the RV based Asylum family started by River Bend and her husband Rustee Gates.
The Bend family made it all the way to Gen 5 via multiple resets and new beginnings but I finally gave up.

I loved Riverview. My only successful generational-type play was in SV though. [Before I developed the habit of family jumping and CAW pulled me away.] That save was on my lap-top and all that stuff has been long since lost. I think I made it about four generations. I don't even remember their names! It wasn't a true legacy, as I just wanted to play and not have any extra rules. I started out with a lady with auburn hair. I'm pretty sure the last person I played in that family was a guy named Ted. Somewhere, sometime, I remember changing a sim's name from Theo to Ted and I think it was him. I think they were all doctors and in law enforcement, because I didn't explore some careers until later. I think it was all pre-WA, but not sure.

The longest, it seemed, I played was in Fincastle after I submitted it to modthesims. I updated the lots for Ambitions. I didn't have hardly anyone have children. Or if they did, I moved onto another household. I had another author in there, a loner similar to Juan, but I don't recall anything memorable. I have no idea what happened to that save. In theory it should still be on my old computer along with the one I'm exploring in this thread, but it's not. Oh well. A while back I did discover a folder with exported sims in it, including the very first Sims 3 sim I made. There were eight of them, so old that they start out with $16,000 instead of $16,500.

With the exception of Jodi, all the sims I created in this save were pretty generic. Nay, boring, more specifically. Of course, I had limited hair and stuff, but they are still bland in the facial sculpting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview   

Back to top Go down

Looking at an OLD save in WA Riverview
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1