For the love of all things related to The Sims

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
auntielynds
Admin
auntielynds

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem   Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 2:50 am

Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Eyelem10

eyelem wrote:
Going to just copy/paste info from another thread that started out with me asking a question, and ended up with me basically answering my own question with the help of a friend in the game creating buisiness.

First off, let me clear up something people have said regarding 'broken lines' in numerous tutorials out there that is simply just not correct...

with terrain ON in view layers, you can see what seem to be many broken lines where terrain is slightly raised here and there:

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Captur25

but with it off, you see they are not really broken at all:

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Captur26

i just thought i should be clear about this as it seems many people worry about these broken lines when they are a non issue. It is lonely circles and lonely clusters that do not connect to any other paths in the world you need to be watching for here.

Now for the more complicated stuff:

The boxier the better: as long as paths are wide, clear cut, long, boxy areas are always better than stair stepped diagonals that contour around this or that, so, whenever possible, keep it straight for as long a ways through each area as you can... even if it means allowing some steepness (within reason) to be routed and not allowing some flat areas. The less information the game has to process the better.
This makes complete sense too... if you have an area painted as non routable, then the game only renders it visually and does not have to process any other information about said area at all, it just renders and moves on... Complicated, stair stepped contouring around rounded objects/terrain/roads, only makes it have to think that much more!

to take this idea even furthur (more OC)...

if you have a path its always best (again, whenever possible) to make sure the non routable paint ends up in an even line along the grid at the ends of that path... i'll just dig up some pics and show yas...

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Captur28

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Captur29

in addition to this... the larger chunks of grid you adhere to the better as well... you'll notice the grid changes to encompass smaller and smaller areas as you zoom in along its 'hard' lines... these hard lines represent a sort of, even amount if you will... that is, if you can keep as many of your routing paint lines along the largest 'hard line' zone that you can, you will improve performance that much more.

The more, unmatching paths along the soft lines you have the more the game has to think... and take care to definitely avoid those jutting out boxes along your otherwise smooth lines, even if they are there to cover a steep area, its really just better to keep as much lined up as you can, so what if a sim hikes up a steeper area in a few places, if your game runs better, i'd think that should matter more to most of us.

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Captur30

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Captur31

and to end it all, i'll just quickly cover a few points that have been made across the Sims 3 community, add them here for the sake of completion with some Eyelem flavor...

- don't cover roads, lots, spawners or any other interactive objects with non routable paint, ever, avoid this completely, i cannot stress this enough, in fact, try to leave a clear, full hard tile (4 soft tile) space between any edges of roads or lots

- do not overlap roads, or overlap a lot with a road, not even a TINY bit, if you aren't sure if you have overlapped a lot with a road, move the lot or road so there is visual space between them... Here it is better to be safe, you can always paint the little gap to match later if you want.

- try to keep aesthetic only type objects free of routable areas, place them so that their footprint (red line that shows up when you have view routing on) is inside an already non-routable painted area, then you dont have to worry about it anyway, and the game doesn't have to try to create a routing path around it.

- keeping all of the above in mind... make sure Sims have the room they need to move around freely... don't go absolutely insane with super narrow paths.

when all is said and done, and your beautiful, hilly, circular world filled with objects, curved beaches and lots is done, underneath it all you will have a blueprint that is very unlike it... a harsh, very squared off network of white lines with no lonely white circles!

i hope this helps a ton of people smooth out all their lag issues relating to routing... so many worlds, even EA ones (especially EA ones) suffer from very poorly optimized routing... many people don't even realise how important it is to consider routing when making a world at all, and EA did a poor job of explaining it (along with everything else) in its *cough/laugh/cough* "manual"

just way happy to finally have this explained and figured out once and for all... the information out there is few, scattered, inconsistent and frankly just does not match up or is flat out wrong.

If anyone knows that anything i have said is wrong for sure, please feel free to point it out, the last thing i want to do is steer anyone in the wrong direction, or if you have anything to add, the floor is yours.

Last edited by auntielynds on Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/auntielynds/mystudio
kiwi_tea
kiwi_tea

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem   Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Got in touch with SimGuruSarah to confirm some of this, and she got the World Building team and Tech Director to give their take:

Quote :
Nice analysis. Let me go item-by-item:
- “broken lines” issue – correctly identified as irrelevant. The lines are straight, don’t follow the terrain.
- The boxier the better – correct
- Align to grid – not entirely true. The routing is using tri-grid to make it slightly irregular. Aligning to grid may improve in some cases and actually make it worse in others. Besides, I am not quite sure what grid are they trying to align it to. I would not follow this one strictly.
- The micro-optimization of red and blue paints is not advisable. They are trading one potential problem with another.
- (*) “don’t cover roads, lots, spawners or any other interactive objects with non routable paint” – absolutely.
- (*) “do not overlap roads, or overlap a lot with a road” – definitely.
- “try to keep aesthetic only type objects free of routable areas” – sensible suggestion, not an absolute but a good guideline.
- “don’t go absolutely insane with super narrow paths” – true again.

Only the two starred items are definite requirements, the rest are suggestions. In most cases I would expect the net effect of following these suggestions compared to doing what feels right to be rather minimal, both in performance and route quality. The list did not get the nastier issue that causes huge performance impact – creating long handle-like routable areas that force Sims to go around big parts of the world.

Neat, huh? thumbs up
Back to top Go down
auntielynds
Admin
auntielynds

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem   Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Wow, that is cool applause

I've never seen an EA world builder comment on anything! If eyelem were still around, I'm sure she'd have a ton of questions for them, but alas, she's moved on to other games.

Thanks Kiwi for getting their insight on this. I have to say I'm not anywhere near as OCD about routing paint as eyelem. After looking at EA's application of routing paint in their worlds, I don't worry too much about it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/auntielynds/mystudio
kiwi_tea
kiwi_tea

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem   Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 4:06 am

If you have any questions, tweet them to Sarah Holding (@SimGuruSarah) specifically, asking if she can pass them on to the EA world building team. She offered to pass questions to the WB team following the release of Lunar Lakes, which was one of her projects. It has been very helpful, for example they also gave this response about layers and chunks: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g70enl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem   Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem Empty

Back to top Go down

Tutorial: Perfecting Routing, an OC approach to routing paint... by eyelem
Page 1 of 1