For the love of all things related to The Sims

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 Empty
PostSubject: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm

So, I've always been a big fan of gothic novels-- good, bad, and otherwise (and mystery novels. And Regency romance novels. And Victorian romance novels. And some pretty bad books. ANYWAY.), so I've been working on a couple of challenges for them. I thought I'd toss them out here to see if anyone's got some comments, recommendations, corrections, etc.

Fairland Manor, the lot for this, is on my EA account-- elainemcfg.

Gothic Novel Challenge: Escape Manor (Very VERY Rough Draft)

Setting: Fairland Manor is an old mansion being remodeled by the current owners-- the Evils. They have one half of the house done, and that's where they live-- the other is still a mess. Your Sim (We'll call them PlayerSim) is the child of a very very old friend of the Evils' grandparents. PlayerSims's parent has passed away, and sent PlayerSim to live with the Evils (parent didn't know the Evils are, well, evil). PlayerSim has no money, no friends, and as a result, ends up being a Sim of all trades, responsible for... well, pretty much everything at the Manor.

Turn aging on or off, whatever you like best. And the setting can be anything-- Annecy or Perth, Kisangani or Phan Thiet, with the timeline set in the 1120s, the 1920s, the 2220s-- your game, your call!

(For an extra bit of amusement, if you have Seasons, set the weather to perpetual rain and thunderstorms, so you can have frequent Dark and Stormy Nights. If you have MCCC, I believe you can have non-stop stormy everything!)

PlayerSim's history is mostly up to you. But there are three things to remember:

• Their parents lived in isolation from everyone else, in a small house many miles from the nearest city. PlayerSim never met any other family members, received a limited education from their parents, and had a very, very small number of acquaintances, and no actual friends.
  • Parent #1 passed away when PlayerSim was still a child; Parent #2 never talked much about Parent #1.
  • Both Parents were bad with money; after Parent #2 passed away, they left behind a lot of debt. PlayerSim was able to sell off their family house & property to pay for it... but it left them with nowhere to live, and nothing to live on.

So PlayerSim is going to have to learn how to do everything on their own-- from cooking to painting, fixing what's broken to singing like an angel, and there's nowhere they can go to if/when they're sad / angry / etc.

The Evil Family:

You need two parents and one adult child. Gender doesn't matter. Two female parents, two male parents, one male & one female, whatever-- again, your game, your call. You don't have to call them "Evil", of course. You could always call them "Angelic" or "Candonowrong" or "Giantjerkface" or something like that. Anyway.

• Mr/s & Mr/s Evil. They're the owners of the estate, and they're currently renovating it. They have zero respect for PlayerSim, but generally won't go out of their way to harass them. Unless they do. Necessary trait: Evil.
  • Mr / Miss Evil Heir. When the Evils die off, the Heir inherits everything. Maybe they adore their parents, maybe they don't really care... and maybe they'd be okay with the Reaper showing up early.... Necessary trait: Evil.  
  • Friend of the Heir. The FotH doesn't realize how awful the Evils are, and believes that the Heir is just misguided. The Evils like the FotH because the FotH is very, very wealthy. Traits: If PlayerSim is going to romance the FotH, you can make them compatible with PlayerSim, of course-- or you can go the totally incompatible route to make it an even bigger challenge. (For even more fun-- or frustration-- you could make FotH & Evil Heir compatible-- and FoTH incompatible with PlayerSim!)

The Evils, the Heir, and the FotH should have a full wardrobe-- they can be classy or trashy, bland or grand, whatever you want. PlayerSim, however, can only have one in each category, with no jewelry of any kind.

Mechanics: This relies a LOT on cheats!

First, use the free real estate cheat to get your Sims into the mansion. Every week, add 15,000 simoleons to the household funds. This is to pay bills, renovate the mansion, and buy whatever you decide the family wants.

Despite all that $$$$, PlayerSim will only make 500 simoleons a week. If PlayerSim maxes out handiness or cooking, they get a one-time bonus of 250. PlayerSim can spend their whole check every week, or save up to buy stuff (or to fund their escape).

Lock the doors of all the bedrooms so that only the owner can get in... except PlayerSim's, which is accessible to everyone in the house. Ugh. (Exception: PlayerSim can go in someone else's room to fix something that's broken.)

Burdens: This will NOT be fun.

PlayerSim can't use any skill / hobby items except the ones they buy. So if the Manor has a gorgeous library, PlayerSim can't read any of the books there, can't use the piano in the music room, can't listen to music, watch TV, use a computer, etc., until they buy it themselves.

PlayerSim works from 6am-8pm, Sunday through Friday, and their room is off limits during work hours. They can only leave the Manor on Saturdays, their only day off. (If you have Seasons, PlayerSim can't celebrate holidays with the family-- but they can spend some time with the FotH, if they're friends.)

So, what does PlayerSim do with all that time? They have to:

• Prepare meals. (Lock the kitchen door so other family members can't get in. And if someone is hungry, PlayerSim has to stop whatever they're doing to serve them.)
  • Keep everything clean. (If another Sim tries to clean something, stop them.)
  • Fix anything that breaks. (If another Sim chooses to fix it, that's fine.)
  • Use household funds to buy anything that pops up in the Evils' / the Heir's whims.

PlayerSim doesn't have to do these, but can:

• Establish & maintain a garden. (As big or small as you choose. They can't sell anything they grow, unless it's something they've bought for, and are growing in, their bedroom.)
  • Go for a jog. (To keep themselves strong so they can work harder!)
  • Use a workbench to build stuff (They have to buy it themselves, and keep it in their bedroom. And anything they craft, they can sell-- and keep the money!)
  • Practice singing, since they don't need to buy anything for that.

Goals (pick one, all, or none-- or make up your own!):

• Save up enough money to buy their own house. (If PlayerSim is an artist / author / musician / gardener / scavenger, etc., they can only do their thing when they're not working. They have to use their own wages to buy the necessary gear, and keep all of it in their own room.)
  • Find mutual love with FotH or Evil Heir.
  • Outlive Evil Employers.
  • Get rid of the Evil Employers. Hmm... maybe PlayerSim could get hold of a cowplant....

When you reach your goal, you've completed the story! Maybe it's "happily ever after"... maybe it's "escaped with the clothes on your back". Totally up to you.

Some more fun stuff:

The Scapegoat Roll!
* The Evils take out their bad moods on the PlayerSim. Saturday morning, roll a 1d4 (There are several dice rolling sites out there.) to determine if the Evils punish PlayerSim.

1 - No punishment. Whew.
2 - PlayerSim loses 30 simoleons.
3 - PlayerSim is locked into an unused room until Saturday at 10pm. Sad
4 - Roll again! If you roll 1, 2, or 3, no punishment. If you roll a 4, PlayerSim wins 30 simoleons!

Remodel the Mansion
* Using the weekly income, you can redecorate or remodel the entire mansion. Keep in mind that bills may get more and more expensive as you go along.

...well, except for the PlayerSim's quarters. You have to use their earned money for that. Sorry! (not sorry)

Learn The Terrible Secret!

* Use Google's coin flip & pick your lucky side: heads or tails. Every Friday night, when PlayerSim is done with their work, flip the coin. Each time you get your lucky side, add a door to the shut-off side of the house in this order:

- The entry to the stairwell on the main floor, which leads to the room with the kneeling fairy statues, which leads to
- The Burning Fountain, which leads to
- A Very Long Corridor, which leads to the Room of the Missing Gravestones, which leads to
- The Final Staircase, which leads to
- The Hidden Chamber, which is where you learn the Terrible Secret!

(When you discover the Terrible Secret, you also discover a stash of money-- add 5,000 simoleons to your Sim's budget!)

The Evil Employers had equally Evil Ancestors. The Evil Ancestors tried to keep their Daughter from marrying the Love of Her Life, and failed. Daughter and LoHL died in a tragic (but suspicious) Cowplant attack, and the Evil Ancestors took custody of their grandchild.

They were unkind to her, and kept her in a chamber below the surface. But D & LoHL had faked their deaths to escape the Evils, and two months later, rescued their child & lived happily ever after.

BONUS: Friend of the Evil Heir is actually the grandchild's niece's best friend's cousin!
Back to top Go down
EuphorialQueen
Admin
EuphorialQueen

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Hello @ElaineDB and welcome to our forum. I am happy to see you posting here to share your challenge. I would like to read thru more carefully before making any specific comments.
Back to top Go down
https://euphorialqueen.com/ http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/EuphorialQueen/mystudio
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi @ElaineDb

I have your house in my library. I've started some sims.

I've read through this once. Have you tested this? I will try to mess around with it this week.

Thanks for sharing with us.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

hello6 Happy Simming!   coffee
WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 Murkla10
Back to top Go down
http://buttonsginger.wordpress.com/ http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/BUTTONSGINGER/mystudio
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 pm

challenge quote wrote:
You need two parents and one adult child. Gender doesn't matter. Two female parents, two male parents, one male & one female, whatever-- again, your game, your call. You don't have to call them "Evil", of course. You could always call them "Angelic" or "Candonowrong" or "Giantjerkface" or something like that. Anyway.

Adult parents can not have Adult offspring in CAS. Teen is the oldest age group that can be an offspring. I made my off spring a teen but can be aged up right away once in game if the adult age is necessary.

Back to top Go down
http://buttonsginger.wordpress.com/ http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/BUTTONSGINGER/mystudio
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 pm

Hello, @EuphorialQueen and @Buttonsginger -- and thanks!  It really is a work in progress; I've kind of patched it together from some of my standard playthroughs: trying to make a living while keeping the household in one piece; trying to connect with other Sims; avoiding unpleasant people; figuring out where PlayerSim comes from and what they want; and so on.

@Buttonsginger - Good point! I think I've gotten a bit too used to using cheats. Anyway, that might end up being another player decision: does PlayerSim romance the Heir, or not? And if not, are they okay with having an evil child / teenager?
Back to top Go down
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 12:29 am

@ElaineDb wrote:
Hello, @EuphorialQueen and @Buttonsginger -- and thanks!  It really is a work in progress; I've kind of patched it together from some of my standard playthroughs: trying to make a living while keeping the household in one piece; trying to connect with other Sims; avoiding unpleasant people; figuring out where PlayerSim comes from and what they want; and so on.

@Buttonsginger - Good point! I think I've gotten a bit too used to using cheats. Anyway, that might end up being another player decision: does PlayerSim romance the Heir, or not? And if not, are they okay with having an evil child / teenager?

I have made the Evil family offspring a teen and one trait is evil for all of these sims

Her FoTH is a male teen

My playable sim will an adult male

Hope that works, I am assuming you are wanting help testing it.

challenge quote wrote:
PlayerSim works from 6am-8pm, Sunday through Friday, and their room is off limits during work hours.
cooks, cleans up, fixes things that break and stands around the rest of the time? I don't know how interesting this would be.

Do we only control the playable sim?

Does the 500 simoleons come out of the weekly 15,000 simoleons for the household funds.

I am not sure how you are planning to keep the money straight? PS(playable sim) money from the household funds? Do you have the get famous pack? I think the safe can keep track of the money for each household member. I am not sure how interested I would personally be of keeping track of whats who's.

Are the parents working in rabbit hole careers?

I guess I am not totally clear on the goals and roles for the sims.

Maybe it will make more sense when I get into game. I don't know. Sad

Back to top Go down
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 4:47 am

I am assuming you are wanting help testing it.

Yes, please! Smile Mostly testing, to see if it's actually any fun.

cooks, cleans up, fixes things that break and stands around the rest of the time? I don't know how interesting this would be.

In a big enough house, where everyone else is doing absolutely nothing, it'll keep 'em pretty busy-- plus, if PlayerSim is trying to save enough money to live on their own, they'll have quite a bit to do-- but duly noted!

Do we only control the playable sim?

Yes-- the others get to do whatever they want. (Ideally, that won't involve setting themselves on fire or freezing to death or something, but you know how Sims are.)

Funds

Okay, that's a really really good point-- I'm going to have to think about how to manage that. Yes, the 500 simoleons would come from the weekly household, but I hadn't thought about tracking it. I'll do some more experimenting.

The parents don't work at all-- they are ultra-rich, ultra-spoiled, and the only work they do is whatever amuses them at the moment. The Heir might or might not work, depending on what each player wants to do. Maybe the Heir wants to be self-sufficient, or maybe they want to work in a field their parents would be appalled by.

Maybe it will make more sense when I get into game. I don't know.

No, no, no-- this is a super-rough draft of the challenge, so it needs a lot of re-writing and adjusting. Thank you so much for all the input!
Back to top Go down
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 4:51 am

(Also, I have no idea what I'm doing with this-- my experience with this kind of thing is more writing & plotting, rather than planning and organizing; I expect to make all kinds of mistakes! :D )
Back to top Go down
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 am

First of all, when starting a new save we start with the household and you have to move them to a lot first. So are you going to say to move the household to a specific lot?

I'll move mine to the smallest Newcrest Lot 20x15 (1,5000) which brings the household funds down to 26,500 simoleons.

Now I went into manage worlds then to manage households, found my household and ticked on the moving truck, ticked on the worlds button then typed in the cheats testingcheats true/Free Real Estate on and moved the household in.

This left the household with 26,500. Is this money kept or are funds moved to zero? We start with Sunday are the funds (15,000) given on the first Sunday?

Where is the playable sim's bedroom? Is it on the furnished side or the unfurnished side?

I have the sims placed.

Are we suppose to be furnishing the empty side of the build?

Is the playable sim allowed to have a pet?

Are the bedrooms locked to only allow the specific sim in?

Waiting on your clarification before proceeding thumbs up

Back to top Go down
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 pm

@Buttonsginger wrote:
lots of input

I'm making notes on this as I go-- thank you so much!

Quote :
This left the household with 26,500. Is this money kept or are funds moved to zero?

You can keep the $$-- this is a very wealthy family-- or maybe it would be better to start with a higher amount. I'll have to check in with that.

Quote :
We start with Sunday are the funds (15,000) given on the first Sunday?

Yes-- or one week after the move-in day. (If Monday, then first Monday, etc.)

Quote :
Where is the playable sim's bedroom? Is it on the furnished side or the unfurnished side?

The furnished side, at the very top-- the room with two single beds. Unless you feel like locking that room, and making your PlayerSim sleep on the floor in the unfurnished one!

Quote :
Are we suppose to be furnishing the empty side of the build?

That depends on your family. The EvilSims' plan is to redo the whole building eventually, but maybe they fight too much about what style they want, and can't come to an agreement. Or if you have KawaiiStacie's Explore mod, maybe they're constantly running off on vacations, shopping trips, etc!

Quote :
Is the playable sim allowed to have a pet?

YES YES YES! I mean, if you want. Smile And "pet" could be cat or dog, of course-- but maybe PlayerSim finds a little frog and adopts it, or something like that.

Quote :
Are the bedrooms locked to only allow the specific sim in?

Yes-- although if it would suit your family better, you can set them lock out PlayerSim only. (Maybe the EvilSim adults want to snoop around the Heir's or Friend's bedroom or something.)

Again, thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 8:25 am

@ElaineDb wrote:
(Also, I have no idea what I'm doing with this-- my experience with this kind of thing is more writing & plotting, rather than planning and organizing; I expect to make all kinds of mistakes! :D )

I guess you need to decide if you want this to be a story telling challenge or more of a game play challenge. By game play, I mean playing the game by fulfilling the sim's whims and finishing the aspirations/career goals. By story telling, I mean letting your own personal narrative guide the way you move through the game.

Or it could be set up to follow either path.

Back to top Go down
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Is the player sim allowed to socialize with the other household members.

Did you intend for the unfinished side of the house to be  blocked off? There is not door and trash piles everywhere on the first floor.

I assume the player sim is allowed to use the oven, refrigerator and any kitchen appliances the family wishes for since this sim is to be in control of the cooking and the kitchen.

Are we allowed to control the rest of the household?

WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 02-19-10
The bathtubs can not be used in either of these bathrooms because the sink is blocking the sim's ability to access the tub. The toilets and sinks can be used by the sims.

WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 02-19-12
This arrangement allows all objects to be use by the sims.

Back to top Go down
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 11:29 am

**scribbles notes madly** Re-reading what you wrote earlier-- I think this would work better as a story-telling challenge than a gameplay-- I think this is going to need a revision or two.

(or twelve)
Back to top Go down
EuphorialQueen
Admin
EuphorialQueen

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 2:40 pm

@ElaineDb wrote:
**scribbles notes madly** Re-reading what you wrote earlier-- I think this would work better as a story-telling challenge than a gameplay-- I think this is going to need a revision or two.
(or twelve)
Looks like an interesting concept for a storytelling challenge. The challenges I have developed are gameplay based. In my experience I start with a basic outline of an idea. Then I test my ideas and tweak the rules and goals by playing them out. Some are quicker to develop and others take longer.

Please feel free to post your ideas here and know we are just asking questions and not being critical.
Back to top Go down
https://euphorialqueen.com/ http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/EuphorialQueen/mystudio
Buttonsginger
Admin
Buttonsginger

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 pm

@ElaineDb wrote:

(or twelve)

This would make an awesome story applause  I'd be very interested in following along as you develop this challenge. I, unfortunately, am not a writer and let the game play write my story.  

Please keep posting your edits and story line here as we do not have any storybook challenges on this forum. Cool

Back to top Go down
ElaineDb
ElaineDb

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 EmptySat Feb 23, 2019 2:53 pm

Well, I just finished re-reading "And Then There Were None", which means I now have approximately 16 more ideas. :D

That's one reason why I love the Sims: You can pretty much do what you want, however you want!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1   WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1 Empty

Back to top Go down

WIP: Gothic Novel Challenge #1
Page 1 of 1