For the love of all things related to The Sims

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wyndhan

Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 am

Removed,

Read next post.
Back to top Go down
simsample

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I'd just like to say that this is definitely NOT something I would recommend to do.

If you wish to edit the basegame weather (sea and sky) files, you should never edit the originals; instead you should create a package override which goes in your Mods folder, like this:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=474904

That way you could make an override for using when creating a world, which could then be removed for when you play.
Back to top Go down
auntielynds
Admin
auntielynds

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Opps Surprised

I'll just remove this tut, and work on a package override.

Thanks Simsample. Smile

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane Th_cow10
Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane Dv-hea10
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/auntielynds/mystudio

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:01 pm

I did not want to edit any base game files to get custom weather, I had no done anything to any of my files, my problem was all I had, all I could see was Fog, Fog, Fog in EIG when I tried to work on my World. I had no CC, no modified files anywhere and in my game my EA worlds were fine. However doing anything to the World I made in CAW an EIG gave me nothing but Fog.

I searched and searched for an answer and the TUT that was here was the only thing I could find to fix the Fog in EIG mode. If I had not found this TUT I would not of been able to do anything to my World. Even when I exported the World an tried to work on it in my game all there was in it was Fog an more Fog.

Right now people who use CAW to make a World then go into EIG to work on that World are getting nothing but Fog. I don't see how making a Mod to change the base game weather is going to fix this problem. Also I used that TUT and I have never had a single problem with my game, CAW, EIG since, everything runs fine, updates fine.

Shouldn't that TUT be left here for people who have the Fog problem I had? Shouldn't it be their choice if they want to follow the TUT that was here or not? I mean unless we know a way other then this to fix the Fog problem people are having from CAW to EIG we shouldn't remove the only thing so far that's worked.

Also some people use 0 Mods and have a 0 Mod folder and are still getting this Fog problem from EIG, while others are not as good at making Mods as you Simsample or they simply do not have the time. As weird as it sounds some are more comfortable with editing the INI files then making a Mod or having a Mod in their game.

Also if you backup the INI file with the simple copy an paste option and then follow the TUT which was here you can always put the backed up or original INI back and remove the changed one. This is far more simple then making a Mod that may or may not Work to solve this issue.

These are my thoughts on this, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about or perhaps I am not fully understanding what your talking about however it should be be the players choice to follow the previous TUT or not. Also some may try the Mod folder idea and it not work then what will they do?
Back to top Go down
simsample

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Sarrah wrote:
Right now people who use CAW to make a World then go into EIG to work on that World are getting nothing but Fog. I don't see how making a Mod to change the base game weather is going to fix this problem.
Sarrah, are you the person who posted about this over on the Sims3 forum?

If so, then you should know that this tutorial was recommending to change the basegame weather. It was not the detail of this tutorial I was disputing, but rather the method of applying it.

Sarrah wrote:
Shouldn't that TUT be left here for people who have the Fog problem I had? Shouldn't it be their choice if they want to follow the TUT that was here or not?
That's up to the site admins/mods to decide, but I would personally recommend that the tutorial at least have a note on it to recommend that an override be made instead of modding the game install files directly.

Sarrah wrote:
Also some people use 0 Mods and have a 0 Mod folder and are still getting this Fog problem from EIG, while others are not as good at making Mods as you Simsample or they simply do not have the time.
I'm not saying that this is caused by mods- perhaps I'm not making myself clear.

I am saying that if you want to change the basegame weather files (which is what this tutorial was describing how to do), you should not directly edit the original basegame files when there is an alternative available.

Editing the install files can cause all sorts of problems- for example, if anything goes wrong it can break your game.

What I am recommending to do is to make a copy of the file you wish to change, and to make it into an override package. This way, it will do exactly the same thing but is safer- as the mod can just be removed if it is found to break the game, or if a game update is needed.

Sarrah wrote:
As weird as it sounds some are more comfortable with editing the INI files then making a Mod or having a Mod in their game.

Also some may try the Mod folder idea and it not work then what will they do?
If people are not comfortable to install a mod, but are comfortable with using this method, then I would say that they probably don't really understand what this tutorial was describing. In that case I would definitely not want to be encouraging them to mod the basegame install files, as they obviously do not understand that this is indeed a mod, and that this can potentially cause more problems than an override mod to do the same thing can.

If done correctly, the Mod will work- in just the same way that directly editing the basegame files will work. The difference is that the mod is an override- it can be easily undone, whereas to edit the install files is not really something to be encouraged unless the user is an advanced modder.

At very least, the tutorial should have a warning on it about the possible problems that editing the install files can entail, and it should be made clear in the tutorial exactly what it is that is being done (in this case, editing the default weather, which will affect Sunset Valley, Riverview, Barnacle Bay, Hidden Springs and any custom world which does not have sky overrides, as well as CAW/EIG).

I hope you understand my meaning!
Back to top Go down
auntielynds
Admin
auntielynds

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Sarrah,

This particular tutorial was intended to get rid of the fog in Caw, not in EIG. I was not aware it worked to alleviate the EIG dense fog that occurs in some peoples games.

I trust Simsamples opinion, because they know what they're talking about, I on the other hand sometimes know just enough to get myself in trouble. I don't want to mislead people into thinking this is safe, when I've been told by a reliable source it may not be.

I'll have a chat with the other admins and we'll decide if we want to re-post the tutorial with warnings or not.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane Th_cow10
Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane Dv-hea10
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/auntielynds/mystudio

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am

Simsample explained this to me in better detail on here an the other Forum, I am comfortable with how it was explained to me and like you auntie I sometimes only know enough to get myself in trouble as well. If someone could make a Mod to fix this issue rather then using this method then I see no reason why they should not do it and put it here for Download. Maybe Simsample could do it, I asked on the other Forum if Simsample could do it and I'll ask here and I also thanked Simsample for better explaining this to me, I did not fully understand everything about this method, I simply new it had worked for me.
Back to top Go down
simsample

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey Sarrah, yes I could make a mod for you, but I can't remember what the figures were set to exactly in the tutorial. As I'm not having the fog problem in my CAW/EIG that you are, perhaps you could make a copy of your modified file and attach it here, and then I could use that as the basis for the mod. That way we would know it works for you. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Fog Problem   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:02 am

Simsample I think I found the file I'm just trying to decide how to get it to you and you may need to compare it to yours to see where the changes rest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane   Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane Empty

Back to top Go down

Tutorial: CAW fog "invisible water" workaround by Wyndhane
Page 1 of 1